You will use the resources you identified in the SLP to gather information about the company and relate that information to your work in the previous cases.
Refer to the required and optional readings related to strategy implementation and strategic controls, the themes for this module.
We will conclude the case study process by researching Pepsico’s strategic controls and their fit with the company’s chosen strategy.
Keys to the Assignment
- Step One: Review your Case papers from Modules 1-3 so that you are familiar with the mission, vision, SWOT, strategy, and strategic choices you have identified over the course of the class.
- Step Two: Research the structure, systems, people, and culture at Pepsico. You will not be able to get answers to every single question, but you will need to answer at least one or two for each component.
- Step Three: Describe Pepsico’s organizational design, key strategic control systems (e.g., budgeting and variance analysis systems), primary human resources concerns, and cultural factors, and the effect that these have had on the implementation of Pepsico’s strategy.
- Step Four: In a 6- to 8-page paper, critically evaluate the fit—or the lack of fit—between the company’s mission, strategy, and organizational components crucial to implementation. Do these components complement the strategy? Why or why not?
- Step Five: Choose three of the 13 ethical “prescriptions” included in the following article: https://www.scu.edu/ethics/focus-areas/business-ethics/resources/incorporating-ethics-into-the-organization/ . Next, discuss the extent which the company’s sense of business ethics has been embedded within its strategic management process, as evidenced by your chosen three indicators.
- Step Six: What changes would you—as the CEO—make to better assure the success of the company’s strategy? This is the most important section.
- Step Seven: Consider the Case as a formal business report that you are developing for the Board of Directors and CEO as Pepsico’s consultant. This is a professional document. Follow the format below:
- Executive summary: This is a synopsis of the main points, conclusions, and recommendations made in the longer report. If you would like a refresher on writing an executive summary, check this website: http://www.csun.edu/~vcecn006/summary.html
- Introduction: State the main purpose of the paper (thesis statement), what you hope to accomplish, and how you will go about doing it.
- Main Body: The “meat” of the paper. Emphasize analysis, not just description. Delineate separate topics or sections with headings.
- Conclusion: Summarize your paper in the light of your thesis statement.