Regional Hospital is a 500-bed hospital and several associated clinics in a major East Coast metropolitan area. It has been an aggressive adopter of computing technologies in efforts to decrease costs and improve operational efficiencies. A critical challenge facing the hospital is meeting its ongoing challenges to staff the hospital and allied clinics effectively, given the ongoing shortage of nurses; uncertainty in health care legislation; emphasis on shortening hospital stays to reduce costs, which causes the daily census (numbers of patients in various departments) to vary dramatically from day to day and shift to shift; the continued aging of the population in its primary care area; and the unending competition for employees with key skill sets. Employee expenses represent more than 80% of the overall costs of operation for the hospital, so identifying ways to match optimal skills and numbers of employees to the appropriate shifts is critical to achieving consistent success. However, individual shift managers struggle to make effective staffing decisions, resulting in consistent overstaffing or understaffing of shifts and departments. These staffing problems potentially increase the high costs of varied levels of patient care and satisfaction and potentially increase the risk that staff turnover may escalate because of dissatisfaction with the continuing inability of managers to match staffing needs to demand.
Company managers recognize the potential that HR metrics and analytics might have for their organization, and they have come to you for help. They are hearing from their peers in other hospitals that metrics can help in this area but are not quite sure where to start. They are looking for you to offer guidance on how to do HR metrics and workforce analytics.
Week 3 – Assignment
Regional Hospital Case Study
You are an external consultant hired to work with hospital administration and the human resources department. You are required to create a PowerPoint for a presentation to hospital administration. Read the Case Study about Regional Hospital on page 196, then answer the Case Study Questions below.
Case Study Questions
- Describe why a program of HR metrics and workforce analytics might be useful in Regional Hospital. If so, why?
- Explain opportunities regarding “where” and “how” metrics and analytics might be applied in this organization.
- Identify three analyses and associated metrics that might be useful for Regional Hospital to consider.
- Explain how Regional Hospital can utilize benchmarking as a part of its metrics and analytics effort, if at all.
- Describe advice you would offer to managers at Regional Hospital about developing a program of HR metrics and workforce analytics.
- Explain potential problems that may occur in the establishment of an HR metrics and workforce analytics program for Regional Hospital managers about which you would want to alert them prior to beginning this project.
- Must be at least six slides in length (not including title and references pages) and formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Writing Center (Links to an external site.).
- Must include a separate title page with the following:
- Title of paper
- Student’s name
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Date submitted
- Must use at least two scholarly sources in addition to the course text.
- The Scholarly, Peer Reviewed, and Other Credible Sources (Links to an external site.) table offers additional guidance on appropriate source types. If you have questions about whether a specific source is appropriate for this assignment, please contact your instructor. Your instructor has the final say about the appropriateness of a specific source for a particular assignment.
- Must document all sources in APA style as outlined in the Writing Center.
- Must include a separate references page that is formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Writing Center.