You have been asked to be the project manager for the development of an information technology (IT) project. The system to be developed will allow a large company to coordinate and maintain its records of the professional development of its employees. The company has over 30,000 employees, who are located in four sites: Florida, Colorado, Illinois, and Texas. The system must allow employees to locate and schedule professional-development activities that are relevant to their positions. Sophisticated search capabilities are required, and the ability to add scheduled events to the employees’ calendars is desired. The system needs to support social networking, which will allow employees to determine who is attending various conferences and events. This will promote the fostering of relationships and ensure that the company has representation at important conferences.
Once an activity has been completed, employees will use the system to submit the documentation. The system should support notifications, which will allow managers to receive notice whenever their direct reports have submitted documentation. The system should also notify employees if their deadline to complete a professional-development requirement is approaching and it has not yet been completed. Because the expenditure has been approved for the project, it is now time to justify the start-up of the project with a business case.
Using the above scenario, develop a business case and project charter (2â€“3 pages each). Include the following:
- Section 1: Business Case (Unit 1)
- Description of the problem or opportunity being presented to the business
- Costs and benefits of each alternative solution
- Recommended solution needed for approval
- List of alternative solutions, feasibility of each in a table, and the selected solution
- Section 2: Project Charter and WBS (Unit 1)
- Identify project vision
- Define scope of project
- List project deliverables
- List roles and responsibilities
- List risks, issues, and assumptions
- Section 3: Project Plan and Requirements (Unit 2)
- Section 4: Architectural Views (Unit 3)
- Section 5: Transition Plan (Unit 5)
- Appendix A: Ethics (Unit 1)
- Using the PMI ethics resources (found in the useful links below) as reference, explain ethical and professional considerations in the management of this project.
- Prepare a Word document between 2 and 6 pages in length. You may use a Project Charter template as the foundation of your Word document.
The following may be useful as you research and prepare for this assignment: