Complete a research essay on the government and the economy. Remember this is being written for the president to read.
The U.S. economy is always and issue, even when it’s doing well. Here are the aspects and questions to address for this essay:
- Identify a current issue being debated about the American economy.
- Explain two competing solutions to this problem.
- Evaluate which one is preferable.
- Address the responsibilities of each level of government, which are federal, state, and local. (Most of the essay will be about the federal government).
- 400 word minimum length, not including references listed at the end or footnotes if used.
- Incorporation of concepts and terms from the required readings.
- Inclusion of facts from a recent news article about the topic/solution.
- Correct spelling, grammar, and formatting, whether it’s APA, MLA, or Chicago/Turabian.
- See the essay rubric for further details on grading.
- Writing tip – Essays should be written in the third person perspective. (Avoid using “I, me, my, mine, we, us, our, you, your”).
|Identification of Issue (Thesis) 20% of grade
|The political topic is clearly and prominently stated along with a potential solution. A news article from the last four weeks is cited to illustrate the issue.
|Incorporation of levels of government (Knowledge of concepts) 20% of grade
|Involvement and responsibility of all three branches of the federal government are incorporated into explaining the issue and solution. Relevance of state and local governments is also taken into consideration.
|Construction of argument and rebuttal of counterargument (Critical thinking) 30% of grade
|The submission clearly illustrates the preferable solution to the issue, explains the details of an opposing argument, and finishes with a solid rebuttal that refutes the opposing argument. All claims and arguments are supported with credible and documented evidence.
|Writing Skill 20% of grade
|ILO-SK.A.2 ILO-SK.A.3 ILO-DL.A.5
|Submission demonstrates clear and concise writing style and a sophisticated usage of current terminology in the field. Assignment is generally free of errors in grammar, spelling, and formatting. Citations clearly differentiate student’s thoughts from ideas in sources.
|Research Skill 10% of grade
|Submission provides sophisticated synthesis of complex body of information. Submission incorporates at least of four quality references in assignment including required course readings and scholarly literature