THE ASSIGNMENT: Students will read Chapter 14, Sentencing Options, in our textbook and follow the instructions below to complete the assignment.
- You are the deciding sentencing authority (judge). As such, you must be knowledgeable about many different sentencing options. For each of the sentencing options listed, provide a defendant (including facts such as the crime at issue, defendantâ€™s age, gender, prior criminal history, job situation, family situation, health/addiction status) that would be an appropriate defendant to sentence under that option.
- Boot camp
- Death penalty
- Community service
- Direct restitution
- Intensive supervision probation
- Pardon (ok, for this one, you are the governor, not a judge)
- Symbolic restitution
- Shock incarceration
- What is the state of the law regarding death penalty cases today? Do you believe the death penalty should be abolished? Explain your position. (Please note that studentâ€™s response to this critical thinking question should be a minimum length of 1 Â½ pages.)
THE PURPOSE: To evaluate different sentencing options available to judges and to articulate a thoughtful, academic position on the use of the death penalty as a punishment.
THE PAPER: Here are the minimum requirements:
- Cover page: In the following identifiers: Studentâ€™s name, Course Name, Assignment number and name, Instructorâ€™s name, Date.
- Header: Single-spaced, aligned to the right.
- Body of the paper: Double-spaced.
- Font: 12 point font, Times New Roman or Arial, black print.
- Paper length: No minimum length, but note that studentâ€™s response to question #2 must be a minimum of 1 Â½ pages in length.
- Sources: Cited both within the body of the paper and in a Works Cited page.
- Must be uploaded into IvyLearn as an attachment.